Ron Foley Macdonald
Producer / Writer
Ron Foley MacDonald has worked in the motion picture industry for over 30 years, with extensive stints with the National Film Board of Canada (on such films as Margaret’s Museum, All The Right Stuff, and Justice Denied), the Atlantic Film Festival (where he has been the senior programmer for two decades), and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. A widely published writer and critic, his work has appeared in the Halifax Daily News (where he was the theatre and music critic for years), The Globe and Mail, The National Post, and Canada’s film magazine, Take One. He taught film history for 15 years at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, and has also taught at Dalhousie University and Mount Saint Vincent University. A founder of the East Coast Music Awards, Ron is a former member of the band The Fourth Wall and an award-winning songwriter. He has sat on arts juries for a number of organizations, including The Canada Council and the Ontario Arts Council.
Ron has been the owner and President of the Halifax-based multimedia production and distribution company, Winter Light Productions, since its founding in 2014. He is a member of Screen NS, the Documentary Organization of Canada, and the Atlantic Filmmakers’ Co-Op. His producing credits include:
- The television series The Classical Now (Bravo, 2003 – 2005);
- The documentaries Denise Djokic: Seven Days, Seven Nights (Bravo, 2003) and Steven Greer: The Disclosure Imperative (2015);
- The multiple award-winning feature film Exit Thread (B7 Media UK, 2016);
- The feature films The Cuckoo in the Clock (B7 Media UK, 2014) and Roundabout (B7 Media UK, 2014);
- The ongoing television series Haunted (Eastlink TV, 2016 – present);
- The TV mini-series Cinema 902, currently in production for Eastlink TV (for which he will also be making his feature-film directorial debut)
- The following upcoming television series for Eastlink TV – Citizen K, Stand & Deliver, Slainte, Behind the Scenes, and NSK9.
Winter Light also currently acts as the distributor for a number of independent Canadian feature films, including Wisp, Head Space, Afraid to Speak, Ariyah and Tristan’s Inevitable Break-up, Aliens With Knives, The Last Divide, Creepy Crawling, and Edge of the Mirror.